Friday, December 12, 2008

Exam Nostalgia

Of course it's true that one thing I don't miss about college is the work. Not having to worry about waking up in the morning and realizing I overslept and didn't finish that paper = a huge relief. But people posting on facebook about how many days/finals are left until winter break is making me really sad. I miss Bryn Mawr. I don't have a winter break. And in some horrible masochistic way I really, really miss sitting there in Guild until 4am with my friends doing my overdue work and binging on whatever snacks the rugby team was selling.

You know those things that trigger such strong memories you could close your eyes and swear you were back in the moment? I am currently eating a 100-calorie pack of Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies, which I bought right before my last exam season and used to sneak into Canaday. I can't stop thinking about trekking all my stuff to the library, scouting out a spot with my friends, and leaving our work there during dinner so we could keep our table ... thinking up ways for our children to marry each other so they end up with crazy names (ex: Anne Aiken Skye-Walker) ... late-night cell phone conversations with guy-who-needs-nickname ... walking back to Merion so late/early that the birds were singing through the lamp-lit fog.

I guess I should just be thankful that I loved college so much. There are days when I would give anything to be back there. The next time I hear the Avenue Q song "I wish I could go back to college" I am going to sob.
*

2 comments:

  1. Oh college, *sob* you're so far away, and I miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that you don't miss the tests! Or the evil teachers who won't let you use higher math to solve the equation because your school won't let you test out of a particular class!!! ....okay so you can tell I am still a little bitter.... I totally wish I was out of school!

    ReplyDelete