Well, I guess you can judge me by what I consider exciting surprises, but bear with me.
This morning I drove to work in my car with expired tags, no interior lights, no automatic door locks, a partially functioning odometer, and, worst of all, no radio. (Don't worry, I have my ipod hooked up to some portable, rockin' pink speakers from 5 below- sure, the quality is less than average, and the volume does not cover the sound of high AC or wind rushing through my windows, but it's still music!)
I got to work, did some boring things, and every time I went out in the hallway to the bathroom I had to come in the main door instead of the door that's actually close to my office, because I lost my key card a week ago. (I lost it AT WORK, so I keep waiting for it to show up; it's also in my treasured-though-tattered Bryn Mawr key card holder, which I would really like back.)
At lunch I decided to visit one of the places that often causes me to break down into tears: the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. More precisely, the local "DMV Select," which I mistakenly assumed would have a sign, but was actually hidden in a building off of a confusing circular road. This was my 6th in-person visit (counting various establishments) in the past 3 weeks pertaining to my vehicle registration. But today was different! Today marked the day the hold was supposedly removed, allowing me to register at last. As I stood in line, I dared hope against hope that I would be successful.
I WAS!
Putting the blue '10 stickers on my license plates was the first joyous moment of my day.
I went through the afternoon as usual, with a few nice things thrown in- I got a medical lab to file with my insurance, reducing my bill and delaying my payment; I bought and sent a mother's day card to my out-of-state grandma; I found something to add to my mom's mother's day gift; I had a great and cheap craft idea; Mimi found a great room to sublet in Georgetown and she is arriving in just over 2 weeks! :)
Then I got home. Waiting for me were some awesome things I have been waiting on: 3 months of birth control pills, and checks from the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Treasury of the United States, adding up to a total of $1,231!
Then my roommate Hokie checked the fuses in my car for me (yeah, I gave up on doing it myself after I could not remove the panel enclosing one of the fuse boxes), and after a struggle with an inexplicably difficult and not labeled yellow thingie (the removal of which hopefully will not cause my vehicle to explode), my lights, door locks, and radio have been confirmed as functional!!!
Now do you see what I mean by exciting surprises?!
Man, when I leave town you really go all out on blog posts! And congrats on all the exciting things! (esp the money, now you can pay me back!)
ReplyDelete