Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday Tunes: Song Pet Peeves (part 1)

Do you ever get really frustrated when listening to music?

Here are some things that make me irrationally angry:


Bad Grammar.


I'm not talking about dialectical stuff like "ain't" and "don't." I am talking about nouns and verbs that do not agree, sentences that do not make sense, and other things that make me question the validity of the songwriter's middle school diploma.


example: "The hint of these new tears are sharp/ I try to choke them back" (Dashboard Confessional- The Sharp Hint of New Tears)

Are you kidding??? The hint are sharp?!?! The only true tears are the ones flowing from my eyes as I shake my head at your stupidity and refuse to sing along to that line.


example: "And I'm proud to be an American/ where at least I know I'm free" (Traditional)

Yes, I also love living in the country of American...? Where cannot be used with the noun American, which is not a place! (Thanks to Mimi for pointing this one out.)


Inconsistency.


Related to grammar; when the singer switches back and forth between two referents. Or, lyrics that contradict each other. (I could find an example of this but I am going to go do other things... I have spent too long on this post already. Sorry!)


example: "Our song is the way you laugh/ the first date, man, I didn't kiss her and I should have" (Taylor Swift- Our Song)

WHY... why is it you and then her?? Imaginary boyfriend, can you please either sing the chorus TO her or say it ABOUT her... just pick one!!


Cheesy double meanings.


Is it just me, or does it seem like far too many country songs have to be a phrase that can be taken multiple ways, and each verse describes a way??

example: The worst has to be the new hit "I'll walk" by Bucky Covington. Here are the things "I'll walk" means in the song: 1) "Leave me alone." 2) "I will one day regain the use of my legs after this horrific accident." 3) "Although I have terrible pain every time I walk because of the horrific accident, I insist upon walking down the aisle at my wedding." Yikes!!!

example: Tim McGraw- Don't Take the Girl
From "Please Daddy, don't let her come fishing with us!" to "Please God, kill me instead of her!"


Stay tuned for next Tuesday's continuation. It will focus on a pet peeve so large, it demands its own post: OFFENSIVE PATRIOTIC SONGS!

*

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I love that you actually made categories! And yes, there should be a whole website devoted to teaching Taylor Swift grammar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely missed Taylor Swift's biggest offense.

    NEVER READING A BLEEPING BOOK.

    So, Romeo and Juliet end up married with her father's blessing, huh? Oh, but Juliet has to wear a scarlet letter, only Romeo isn't ashamed to be seen with her. Really. Way to go, teenage country star. Way to not read. Real cool.

    (And yay for being blog stalkers!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LLAS, you are SOOO correct!!! Why did I not think of that as I was struggling for an example of inconsistency?!? I think I will have to add that to this week's Tuesday Tunes. Thank you! And thanks for stalking! :)

    ReplyDelete