Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thanks, IRS

I was looking through some mail my mom gave me from her house when I came across an envelope from the IRS. As soon as the return address caught my eye I became very nervous and avoided opening this envelope for a few minutes. What could it be? A letter about how I made an egregious tax error and now owe lots of money? I must be in trouble... who gets letters from the IRS? I haven't filed taxes yet this year so it couldn't be a refund.

Finally I opened it. The letter was dated May 26, 2008 but just found its way to me. I quote:

"Based on the information you sent us, we figured your income tax for the above year using filing status code 1 and 00 exemptions." ... "As a result, there is no refund due you and you do not owe any Federal Taxes."

That's what happens when you make $489 in a year and you check the box "please calculate my taxes for me" on the federal tax return. That's right. I made that little in 2007 and I did check that box, for fear of calculating incorrectly myself. Also, no, I did not receive the $600 stimulus payment. I was upset about that. Oh well.

This year a free online tax program from H&R block estimates that I will receive a $1,247 tax refund. Please let it be true!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment