A woman at work, Dallas*, got one a little while ago and I am finally used to seeing her walk down the hall talking to the invisible person inside her earpiece. (Yes, I know perfectly well how technology works- the person on the other line is temporarily transported into the speaker, right? Full teleportation is just down the road!) Conveniently, this means that she can now talk on the phone no matter where she is, hands-free.
Including the multi-stall public bathroom in our building.
It's not uncommon to overhear long conversations from the next stall over. First you wonder if she is talking to you, then realize that there are gaps in the conversation and they must be filled in by whoever it is on the phone. Then you wonder if they know she is in the bathroom, and if it is possible to flush silently (hmm... nope), then you flush anyway and leave.
Apparently this bothers people, because this morning signs mysteriously appeared in each stall:
"Please respect the privacy of others
No cell phone use in the restroom!"
P.S. Many of you know that I am not bothered by talking to people when I pee/poo or when they pee/poo. However, I have only done this once or twice at work, and it was always to say "Hey- I'm in the bathroom, wait a minute" AND no one else was in the bathroom at the time. So this note is not directed at me!! My own bathroom at home is fine, and I was even known to do this in college sometimes, but I do draw the line at work... where I would encounter people I do not live with... some of whom I do not even know.
*to be introduced... sometime.
Man, if someone does something in the bathroom that YOU think is sketchy...that's crazy!
ReplyDeleteHahaha... eh, I try not to be judgmental and I would certainly never put up a sign. It doesn't really bother me, it's just a little weird sometimes. But because it is work and I know a lot of people ARE weirded out by it, I do not do it here.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I thought of you and this habit last summer once when I was talking to Dan. The conversation went something like this:
ReplyDeleteMe: Hey, can I call you back in a sec, I have to go to the bathroom.
Dan: Why do you have to call me back?
Me: Have we gotten to that point in our relationship where we talk to each other while peeing?
Dan: Is there a point like that?
Me: Have you talked to me while peeing?
Dan: Tons of times.
Me: oh...