Monday, June 21, 2010

DIY: cardboard wall hanging

Hello everyone! I want to share something I made that's really simple but cute.

What? You don't think corrugated cardboard is cute? Well, I am about to change your mind!


All you need is a corrugated cardboard box, scissors or a box cutter, an inkpad, a hole punch, a small length of ribbon, and any embellishments you want to add.

Cut out a piece of the cardboard box to a size of your liking. Then slowly and carefully peel back parts of the top layer to reveal the wavy layer inside. You will want to leave some parts of the top layer intact for visual interest and to make it easier to stamp on. Don't peel off any of the bottom layer, or your wall hanging will not have a stiff backing and it will bend.

Once you are done, take one or several ink colors and rub the inkpad(s) lightly over the top. They will highlight the wavy texture. (It would probably be a good idea to use Staz-On because my ink rubbed off on me somewhat while I was working on this project.)

Punch two holes in the top of your cardboard and tie a piece of ribbon through the holes.

Now decorate the piece in any way you want: stamp a word or phrase; glue on buttons; attach more ribbon; add a picture...


Ta-da!

This is a great craft for kids and poor students! :)

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Totally would never have thought to use corrugated cardboard in a craft like that. And kudos for digging out that guitar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I accidentally commented while signed into my work gmail. Silly me. This is Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice...I'm not a very crafty guy, maybe I will use this to surprise my GF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are super cute!!! i love them :)

    ReplyDelete