I would have made this an edit to the last post but I know that people who follow me in blogger would probably not come back to the post and see the edit.
Silly me, I didn't discuss the results of my detergent experiment!
Well, I didn't actually notice a change. My clothes seem just as clean as they did with my old store-bought detergent (I used Seventh Generation brand). I consider this a success. They also don't smell scented- maybe a tiny hint of the Octagon soap, which I enjoy- but I used unscented laundry detergent before, so that's not a change for me. I love the smell of laundry, but only if it means clean clothes and not gross added scents.
I also forgot to mention that it is recommended to use white vinegar as a fabric softener if you use homemade detergent. I never used fabric softener before, but I think I read that with homemade detergent, the vinegar helps your clothes wash completely clean with no residue. (Don't worry, I've been doing this and it does not make the clothes smell like vinegar.) Some people also add baking soda (to remove odor/as fabric softener) or hydrogen peroxide (instead of bleach/as a stain remover). Just search the internet and you will find hundreds of uses for common household products. It's crazy!
This post was part of my inspiration. It has a demonstration of homemade vs. store-bought detergent on a stained shirt, and it details the money you can save by switching to homemade.
Did you know the Duggars make their own laundry detergent with a very similar recipe? If anyone's a laundry expert, it's gotta be them. Seriously, you should try this!
No comments:
Post a Comment