Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tuesday Tunes: Misheard

I really like "Wild at Heart," a song by Gloriana that came out this summer.

But something about it shocked me every time it came on the radio.  I'd be singing along...
That rebel moon is shinin', those stars burn like diamonds...
Wait a second. Could the next line really be...
Hell-bent on chasing down that crazy slut ?!?!
No, no it couldn't. I looked up the lyrics. Apparently the word in question is "slide" but to this day I can't hear it. I've tried turning up the volume just for the chorus and listening as hard as I can, and I still think it sounds like "slut." In fact, I've taken to singing this instead, though I know it isn't the real line. I just can't help it.

This has happened to me with other songs too. Even though I know the real lyrics I still sing what I originally thought it sounded like. Does anyone else do this?

4 comments:

  1. Sigh, why must you try and ruin that song for me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the longest time, in Taylor Swift's "Love Story", I thought she was singing "Good Charlotte, tell me how to feel". Which is sort of nonsensical. Then I found out it was "They're trying to tell me how to feel"...but my mind still immediately defaults to what I first thought the lyric was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. You guys.


    There is a Shakira song, I forget the name, anyway... In the chorus, she sings, in a high pitched voice, "I sometimes cry" but I had to look up the lyrics to know this, because without fail it sounds like "I am such a slut."

    I think the song may be called How Do You Do. You NEED to look this up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Chrispy. I just listened and it is How Do You Do, and you are SO RIGHT. It's some creepy effect of the background music I think.

    ReplyDelete