Did you know that Hitler was afraid of public speaking and he spent many hours going over all his speeches over and over again until they sounded good?
Neither did I, until we (me and friends, not me and Hitler's ghost) were flipping through tv channels the other night and stopped on Hitler giving a creepy speech. We thought it must be a history show about the horrors of the Holocaust until we heard the disturbing narration that accompanied it, focused not on what Hitler was saying, but on how this shy man had successfully improved his speeches with practice, turning them into the frightening hate speeches we are familiar with. This was conveyed in a positive manner, almost as if the narrator were hinting, "Hey, kids, make sure you spend hours refining your hate speeches, lest you fail to strike fear into the hearts of every listener."
Oh, and it gets better. The channel? NVCC-TV, our local community college channel. The show? An informative program presumably made for a public speaking class.
That's right, NOVA used Hitler as a positive role model for overcoming your obstacles and becoming a great public speaker.
I think this needs to be the subject of a "Really?! with Seth and Amy" on SNL.
Well that is disturbing. I think you should email SNL just to submit it.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! So creepy! I miss you!
ReplyDeleteWait, I was definitely there for that! Sigh, you trickster, getting it on your blog first. You win this time.
ReplyDelete