Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Restless

So I'm sitting at work with little to do, eating a popsicle from Panties' freezer. Jealous? If your best friend ever moves to Morocco, you might get free popsicles too! Well, maybe only if her dad survives on a diet of popcorn and doughnuts (I am totally serious- AND he's thin) and decides to give you the real food (when compared to doughnuts, all-natural popsicles with real fruit in them become real food).

Hmm. Where am I going with this?

Oh yeah. Best friend moving to Morocco.

OK, so Rabat might not be a happening city, but it's in a foreign country, in a far-off continent, and multiple languages that are not English are spoken there! So it's kind of made me re-realize how boring my life is right now. I will give you some examples. In case blogging at work while eating a popsicle is not example enough.

Last night I actually cried when our internet stopped working. See, I told my boyfriend I would contact him on google chat when I got home to see when and where he wanted to meet up. (When you have no phone, you resort to google chat dates. It's very sad. Unlike Skype dates, which are totally acceptable with people in far-away lands.) I got home and had to restart the computer a few times because it kept having problems like the screen going black and applications not loading. This worried me, but I took deep breaths and told myself I was very close to human contact. Not so! Though the computer assured me I was connected to our cutely-named wireless network, no website would load. This was my breaking point. I cried a lot. It was pathetic, really. I should have thought to reset the modem but I only got as far as the router before I became frantic with the inability to contact anyone. Jazz lay there calmly, mocking me with her lack of addiction to technology. I felt like I was in a cave, or the 1800s. What if someone broke in? I couldn't even call 911! How did people make plans before phones existed?? It's insane to think about. Eventually I drove to Tigger's house in hopes that he was there. Thank goodness he was the one who answered the door to my desperate, tear-stained face.

You know what one of the best things about my boyfriend is? When I act freakish, he acts normal, calming me down. He doesn't criticize me or think I am crazy. It's awesome. He took me for a lovely dinner at Milwaukee Frozen Custard (I know- how did I get so lucky?) and then we took Snookie on a walk. I told him how unhappy I am with life right now. Mostly I am just BORED. I feel like college was the fun part of my life and now that I have to earn a living, I'm already old and it's all downhill from here. The sad thing is, I have no idea how to not be bored!
I told him about the Washington Post article about how great North Dakota's economy is and how they have a surplus of jobs and cheap housing. He suggested we pick up and move there right away. I almost said yes, but can you imagine how boring North Dakota must be?! (If you live there, I am sorry. I know nothing but what this article told me: open space, small towns, almost no people, bad cell phone reception.)

Anyway, I've been telling myself this for a while now, and I really mean it this time! I need to make a list of things I want to do in life. I need change and excitement. I need to figure out my priorities. (Example: While Sharon is still doing her year in Americorps, I need to visit her in Ohio!)

For now: get a cell phone. Today I called and emailed in response to a somewhat sketchy craigslist ad offering the model of phone that I want. Wish me luck. (Of course, I could just move to France- I already have a phone that works there!)

3 comments:

  1. You sooo need to visit me in Ohio!!! I'm loving it here, but I miss familiar faces from home, and you can experience my small town life with all it's quirky little coffee shops and bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in North Dakota! I find that HILARIOUS! Don't forget to look up the weather here, there's 10 months of bittercold winter.

    Boredom is hard, I just make a list of things I enjoy doing or want to try (like clay working) and work through the list. I'm very crafty though so I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all - we're going to do amazing things. Second of all - I would totally move to North Dakota with you and Justin.
    Seriously.

    What are we waiting for?

    ReplyDelete