Monday, September 28, 2009

Welcome Fall! (a recipe)

Pumpkins are one of the best things about fall, are they not?

Last Sunday night I decided to welcome fall by finally using the canned pumpkin in my pantry. I found a great recipe from the Post-Punk Kitchen (one of my favorite recipe sites) and adapted it slightly. The original is here. Don't worry about the long ingredient list- it is REALLY easy!

*Pumpkin Spice Bread*

ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or "white whole wheat flour")
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup apple butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup brown sugar

(my changes from original: I left out raisins, changed the spices a little, and added brown sugar)

directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
-Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl:


-Combine wet ingredients (plus the brown sugar) in another mixing bowl:


-Then pour one into the other and mix everything up. Pour into loaf pan:


-Bake 50-60 minutes, until knife comes out clean.* Remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack:



*My knife did not come out clean after 70 minutes but I removed the bread anyway. After it cooled, it was nice and moist and not gooey in the middle. Perfect! :)

suggestions:

Reportedly, this tastes good with apple butter on top. Sadly, I used up all my apple butter in the recipe and could not try it. Next time I will.

This autumn bread is delicious and satisfying when enjoyed with a hot cup of vanilla rooibos tea.


Welcome Fall!

2 comments: