Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vegan

I'm going vegan for Lent! I never do anything for Lent so this is a big deal for me.

I'm keeping a food journal so I have something to say when people ask me what vegans eat. I might post some recipes here.

I am totally giving up dairy, eggs, and honey in my own kitchen but will not buy special vegan sugar or anything like that. I will do my best to eat vegan when I eat out- avoiding dairy, eggs, and things that most likely contain them- but might not ask about ingredients of things like veggie burgers (which are not always vegan). I don't want to be so strict that it becomes a chore and I stop before 40 days are up. Plus, I already ask about nuts which is way more important and I don't want to confuse or overwhelm the wait staff. (Yeah, I'm a wimp.)

Why am I doing this? I want to see if I can stay vegan for 40 days, and I want to eat healthier. I am hoping to get in the permanent habit of eating more vegetables and fewer animal products. Plus I will probably give up coffee since I've tried all sorts of vegan milks/creamers and don't like them in coffee. Coffee is healthy but all the stuff I put in it is not, and caffeine often makes me feel funny. So I think overall this will be good for my body. I also hope to lose a few pounds, but that's not my main goal.

I'm feeling optimistic. Bring on the veggies!

2 comments:

  1. I know that I could google this, but I'd rather ask here first since it's pertinent. Are there any good vegan alternatives to egg? If so, what are they made of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on what you are doing with the egg substitute. For baking and things like pancakes I usually use vegan recipes that call for oil, or sometimes banana, applesauce or flaxseed. There's also Ener-G Egg Replacer, which I have never tried. You can make scrambled tofu instead of eggs, but I'm not a big fan of tofu. Can't think of anything else right now...

    ReplyDelete