Levaquin: amazing stuff. It made my strep (I assume... the lab never called me, but PJ got strep from me :( ) go away in less than 24 hours. My tonsil was back to normal size on Thursday night!!! However, it turns out that it makes me feel crazy. I felt high all day Thursday (super giddy and every time I stood up I was in awe of how tall I was), extremely lightheaded (the label warns of this) and also nauseated (common side effect). I have felt nauseated much of the time since then, which really sucks. Apparently, Levaquin is supposed to cause bad heartburn. This has led me to a theory. Whenever a normal person would get heartburn, I get really nauseated. This explains why my supposed acid reflux does not cause heartburn, and why I am nauseated a lot. It doesn't really make me feel any better, though; it means Prilosec doesn't work so well... and I would much rather have had heartburn than been nauseated all of Valentine's Day weekend.
Friday night, Justin and I went to my mom's to play Scrabble, so I could not start the cake that I meant to start on Thursday but did not. A typical late start. We also bought a lot of wine and left PJ and Hokie a lovely V-day present for their weekend ski trip ;)
Justin and I did not have any real plans for Valentine's Day. We were just going to drink a bunch of wine and find someplace to go to dinner. But he got a call from his parents saying that they could not make it to the play that day for which he had bought them tickets for Christmas, and we decided to go to it instead. It was at the Shakespeare Theatre in DC, and although it was not a play by Shakespeare himself, I was still wary as I do not generally like that sort of thing. (Also, I was so nauseated that I had to stick my head out the window of the car the whole way there.) The play was "The Dog in the Manger" by Lope de Vega, and it turned out to be awesome and hilarious!! I was very happily surprised. Afterward we went to this Ethiopian restaurant that we had been wanting to try. We both felt kind of stupid since it was our first time eating at an Ethiopian restaurant, plus we had trouble explaining my food allergy (Tunisia all over again... except without a lying food allergy card... just me saying "nut" over and over). The food was good, if gas-inducing. We returned to my house to find Giggles and TH, who were about to make steak for dinner. Justin was pissed that they came over on Valentine's Day, but I was slightly relieved that he had someone to hang out with while I made the cake, which I had not even begun since we had been gone for hours. We broke into our wine collection and I got to work on the cake while getting progressively inebriated. I even had Justin help me from time to time. By the end of the night I had finished baking all the cakes (5 9-inch cakes and 12 cupcakes; I only needed half of this but I used boxed mix, which makes 2 cakes per box) and making the 2 kinds of frosting and the fondant that I needed. I also finished the first stage of all the cake balls. With that, I called it a night.
At about 7am on Sunday, I threw up... I blame it on the mix of Levaquin, Ethiopian food, wine and cake batter. Yuck. PJ and Hokie arrived home earlier than expected, and I am sure they were horrified to see the state of their kitchen. I continued to work on the cake in between taking breaks to hang out and finally finished it in the early evening. Sadly, I still have not finished cleaning up from the experience because I ran out of room on our drying rack. However, I am happy to report that despite my lack of skill and the minor issues that popped up in nearly every step of the process, the cake actually looks good!!! I have reason to believe it tastes good, too (I sampled the ingredients) and I am looking forward to cutting into it soon (today is my last day on Levaquin, thank goodness). Tigger liked it... he tried a few of the cake balls on top, which were apparently good, and said that he liked mine better than the model I was working from, "because you didn't make that one." Aww.
★
No comments:
Post a Comment