Friday, July 23, 2010

Findlay, Ohio: Welcome


I arrived at 6:15pm and was happy to see this huge welcome message!  

I was also a bit intrigued by the gigantic "Flag City USA" signs:

 
Sharon told me that Findlay earned this title by congressional declaration in 1974, due to its practice of celebrating Flag Day (June 14) by decorating every building in town with a U.S. flag. Impressive.


If you're like me, you'd never heard of Findlay until your good friend suddenly moved there.  Let me clue you in. Findlay is a small city in Northwest Ohio, but it doesn't have a downtown with tall buildings. It has strip malls like the suburbs (where I went to my first Hobby Lobby- love!) and a cute main street like a small town. It has its own university, adorable coffee shop that sells books too, and even a scrapbooking store! It's really charming, and I liked it more than I thought I would.



You will get to see a few more detailed Findlay posts in the next week, but I'm actually in California right now :)

I will leave you with the cutest thing in Findlay, Sharon's cat Jack:

3 comments:

  1. Man - you saw so much more than I did on your visit. And all I knew what that it was Flag City. I had no idea the history behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Jack can still jump and play in his fat-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If you're like me, you'd never heard of Findlay until your good friend suddenly moved there."

    Actually, it wasn't until my BEST friend moved there. I visited him and his wife for 3 months some time ago (they are now also in Ca). Anyway what I remember about it was that it had something to to do with John Hancock, every house seemed to have a flag (not national ones, cute ones like Mickey Mouse),and Finders is the best record store in the world.

    ReplyDelete