#1
Halloween 2007
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
senior year of college

Who am I?

Lillian
the ghost who haunts Merion, Bryn Mawr's oldest dorm, which I lived in that year. The story is sad (even sadder still, it is based on a true story): Lillian was a student who lived in Merion in the early 1900s and became convinced that she had leprosy. She decided to take a bath in kerosene to cure the leprosy and then her lantern (a Bryn Mawr tradition- we still have them) fell in and set her on fire. After that, accounts vary on whether she died in the bath or ran down the hall and jumped out the window into the snow. Either way, students manage to put aside the horrific details of Lillian's death and have embraced her as the resident ghost. Supposedly, if you live in Merion and you lose something, Lillian will help you find it.
This is probably my favorite costume that I've ever worn for any occasion.
And it was really easy (well, except for setting the towel on fire... that was surprisingly difficult).

The next morning at brunch, I burned my hand while cooking eggs. I decided it was Lillian teaching me not to treat burns lightheartedly. So I feel that I must add this disclaimer: I was not trying to make light of burn victims. I simply wanted to have fun with a unique costume of a Bryn Mawr legend.
***Happy Halloween!!!***
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
senior year of college

Who am I?

Lillian
the ghost who haunts Merion, Bryn Mawr's oldest dorm, which I lived in that year. The story is sad (even sadder still, it is based on a true story): Lillian was a student who lived in Merion in the early 1900s and became convinced that she had leprosy. She decided to take a bath in kerosene to cure the leprosy and then her lantern (a Bryn Mawr tradition- we still have them) fell in and set her on fire. After that, accounts vary on whether she died in the bath or ran down the hall and jumped out the window into the snow. Either way, students manage to put aside the horrific details of Lillian's death and have embraced her as the resident ghost. Supposedly, if you live in Merion and you lose something, Lillian will help you find it.
This is probably my favorite costume that I've ever worn for any occasion.And it was really easy (well, except for setting the towel on fire... that was surprisingly difficult).

The next morning at brunch, I burned my hand while cooking eggs. I decided it was Lillian teaching me not to treat burns lightheartedly. So I feel that I must add this disclaimer: I was not trying to make light of burn victims. I simply wanted to have fun with a unique costume of a Bryn Mawr legend.
***Happy Halloween!!!***
Okay - I think I somehow managed to miss seeing this costume, and I love it!
ReplyDelete