Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Glitter on the Mattress

Today as I was perusing the Lane Bryant catalog and realizing I am too fat to be a plus-size model, I remembered the weird life dream I had in middle school. And then I thought I should write a blog post about it. Are you ready for this?

I really, really, really wanted to be a dELiA's model! No unrealistic hopes of high fashion, couture modeling for me. All I wanted was to be included in a dELiA's (boy is that annoying to type) catalog. Even once. I have NO IDEA why I was obsessed with this wish, but thankfully it eventually petered out. (I still kind of like that store, though. I think that is embarrassing enough.)

Want to know something even more embarrassing, though? Oh yes, it's possible.

When I was really young, my biggest life dream was to be in a Mattress Discounters commercial. That's not all, though. It wouldn't be just me. Who would buy a mattress based on a little girl singing the oh-so-catchy Mattress Discounters ditty? (Have a good night's sleep on us... Mattress Discounters!) No, the commercial would be much better than that! It would star everyone I knew! My parents, my extended family, my friends, my acquaintances- all would gather together, standing on a brand new mattress situated on a fluffy pink cloud, singing that lovely tune with huge smiles on our faces!!!

I'm pretty sure I thought about this all the time. That's why I can still vividly picture my commercial dream that was not to be. *tear*

Ah, the dreams of a child!

Even though I don't know what to do with my life, I do have a few life dreams floating around in my head. As unachievable as some of them might be, at least I know they do not stoop to the level of singing on a mattress. Now that's something to be thankful for.

3 comments:

  1. Okay - I can get such an vivid visual of that dream...and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww that's a sweet dream to have all your family sharing you commercial adcelebrity status

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok. next time i'm in town i say we make our own mattress commercial. the end.

    ReplyDelete