Friday, February 5, 2010

Vegetable Quiche

One time my boyfriend mentioned he would like me to make him a quiche. Months later, I finally did.
This is the story of that quiche. (Well, actually it's instructions on how to make a similar quiche...)

Quiche is easy. (Easier than truffles!)

First, either make a pie crust or buy one. (Note: many premade pie crusts contain lard- yuck. Watch for this.) I buy natural whole wheat pie crust because I made crust once and it wasn't great. And I am lazy.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute some vegetables. I used onion, mushrooms, and broccoli. (See picture for amounts. I don't measure veggies.) 


When those are pretty much done, add a large amount of fresh baby spinach, ripped to shreds with your bare hands. (Or use pre-ripped, frozen spinach- boring!) Continue cooking until the spinach looks sufficiently wilted.


Whisk together 4 eggs and 1 cup milk in a large bowl. Add about 3oz of feta cheese and 4oz of cheddar cheese. Pour the veggies in the bowl and then add some spices. If you're a good cook, you might know things about spices; I, however, consulted the internet. I used salt, pepper, basil, thyme, rosemary and sage. This combination was AMAZING! (Again, not sure of the amounts... sorry. I think I just sprinkled it in until it looked good.)


Some sources suggest baking the pie crust alone in its tin for 5 minutes before you put the filling inside. I think it's supposed to keep it from getting soggy. I did this, but have no idea if it did anything. (My crust was not soggy.)  


Once you pour in the filling, I suggest baking your quiche on a cookie sheet in case it spills all over the place like mine did.  (mmm- burnt egg)


Bake for about 45 minutes, until a knife in the center comes out clean. If you want, pull out the quiche after 30 minutes and sprinkle some shredded cheddar on top, then put it back in.


Let it cool for about 10 minutes and serve.


YUM!

5 comments:

  1. That looks delicious - I'm so impressed you're being all active with such things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, My mom LOVES quiche and I owe her for generally not being that great a son. I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. discussed the menu with our caterer recently, and we're gonna have quiche! And more importantly, they assured me that at least one of the two kinds they're making will be a vegetarian quiche and that the entire meal will be nut free! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, thank you so much Sharon! I'm excited! :D

    ReplyDelete